How to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning

In recent years there has been great awareness surrounding gas safety, which has led to an annual Gas Safety Week. This week highlights the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning and encourages the public to check their home appliances to see if they working safely and efficiently.

Sources of carbon monoxide

Carbon monoxide is produced when fuels are not burned properly, such fuels consist of gas, oil, coal and wood. They can be found in the following house appliances:

·         Boilers

·         Gas fires

·         Central heating systems

·         Water heaters

·         Cookers

·         Open fires

Not only this but carbon monoxide gas can be produced from cigarette smoke, burning charcoal and car emissions. When incorrectly installed, poorly maintained or poorly ventilated, household appliances can be the most common cause of accidental exposure to carbon monoxide.


By identifying the appliances in your home which release carbon monoxide you are aware they need to be maintained you are aware they need to be maintained and even serviced to eliminate the chance of a gas leak. Boilers, cookers, and heating systems should all be installed by an experienced and registered engineer. You should never attempt to install these appliances yourself.

There is the option to install a carbon monoxide alarm in your home to alert you if a leak occurs. However, this alarm is not a substitute for maintaining or regularly servicing your household appliances. You can buy one of these alarms from a DIY or hardware store, however ensure it is approved to the latest British and European standard before buying.

A degree further

361 Degrees hopes to raise awareness around gas safety and would like to encourage everyone to check their house hold appliances if they haven’t done so already. This could save you and your family’s lives which is the main objective of Gas Safety Week. 

Get in touch
Scroll to top